Skip to main content

I'm being sued for copyright infringement. Should I pay or get a lawyer?

Irving, TX |

I'm being accused of posting pictures on a forum. The amount they want is relatively small but should I try to get it lowered?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 6


Well, I guess the straight answer to your question is yes, you should definitely try to get it lowered. I think that is the always the best answer. As to whether you should hire a lawyer, I think the answer to that is also always yes, if for no other reason than to make sure you don't do something wrong while you are negotiating your own settlement. You should at a minimum call a couple lawyers and pick their brains for a half hour or so.

Answers and information provided here does not create an attorney/client relationship.


You really provide insufficient details for anyone to give you information but I am part of an entire website devoted to this issue Maybe you can find answers to your questions there.

The answers given are informational only and do not constitute legal advice. Please feel free to contact me if you want to obtain legal advice from me.


A lower amount is always desirable. A lawyer can help with this negotiation and help you craft a settlement that will protect you from other possible infringement actions that this particular plaintiff may have.

Licensed in Minnesota. Information here is general, does not create a lawyer-client relationship, and is not a substitute for consulting with an experienced attorney on the specifics of your situation.


A lawyer is going to cost money. If the amount you might save through a lawyer is less than what it'll cost you to hire the lawyer, then you should consider just trying to negotiate a lower amount yourself. It's a simple cost/benefit analysis.


Yes, you should get a lawyer. No, you should not try any negotiating. That's a job for a lawyer.

I am not your lawyer and you are not my client. Free advice here is without recourse and any reliance thereupon is at your sole risk. This is done without compensation as a free public service. I am licensed in IL, MO, TX and I am a Reg. Pat. Atty. so advice in any other jurisdiction is strictly general advice and should be confirmed with an attorney licensed in that jurisdiction.


If the amount you're going to be required to pay is more than what a lawyer would charge you to negotiate a lower fee, you should hire an attorney. If it isn't, you may want to go it alone - but you should be very careful about negotiating without an attorney and should be prepared for the possibility that they decide to go to court instead of settling.

Personally, I would never advise negotiating with a lawyer unless you are, yourself, an attorney. The other side is going to more knowledgeable about the law and procedure and you may not know how strong or weak the claim is.

No information you obtain from this answer is legal advice, nor is it intended to be. You should consult an attorney for individualized advice regarding your situation. No attorney-client relationship is formed by my responding to your question.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer