Skip to main content

I'm being charged with Theft> 50 <500. What are my options?

Little Elm, TX |

I was arrested for shoplifting at a retail store. Have no criminal background, and I just made a bad decision at the time.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2

Best Answer

Well you'll have to hire an attorney and they will take you through the process. Denton county does have a pretrial diversion program for first-time offenders, so you may qualify for that. Otherwise, the range of punishment on a Class B is up to 180 days in jail or up to two years probation and a maximum fine of $2,000.

Macy Jaggers's answer to a legal question on Avvo does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Ms. Jaggers offers everyone a free consultation to discuss their case. Feel free to call her office at 214-365-9800 to make an appointment (phones are answered 24 hours) or visit her website at for more information about her services and recent victories.


Theft of any kind is serious. A theft conviction brands a person as a dishonest scoundrel who is not to be trusted.

Luckily, in many communities prosecutors provide ways to avoid a conviction even if a person is caught red handed, so long as the theft is at a misdemeanor level.

So, I suggest you immediately get with a reputable criminal defense lawyer in your area and seek assistance.

Answers on Avvo are for general information purposes only and should not be relied upon as legal advice. No attorney / client relationship is created by providing this answer. For specific advice about your situation, you should consult a competent attorney of your choosing.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer