Skip to main content

I'm Asylum applicant not granted yet , Can I apply for social security number without authority to work ?

Cleveland, OH |

I Had interviewed but didn't receive the decision , I need to have social security number is it possible ?, as I need to apply after that for Drive licence .

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3

Best Answer

Unfortunately not yet. You need an employment authorization card first to be able to apply for a SSN.

Behar Intl. Counsel 619.234.5962 Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. It is your responsibility to retain a lawyer to analyze the facts specific to your particular situation in order to give you specific advice. Specific answers will require cognizance of all pertinent facts about your case. Any answers offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship.



I have bank account and they need to pay tax so i need social security number , is there social security number without permission of work ?

Giacomo Jacques Behar

Giacomo Jacques Behar


No, not anymore.


You need to apply and obtain work authorization first, before you may apply for the SSN.

Contact attorney Gintare Grigaite, Esq. at 201-471-7989, located in New York and New Jersey. Answers on AVVO do not constitute legal advice and do not form attorney-client relationship. Always consult an attorney for a legal advice.


You need an EAD in order to apply for a social security number.

J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer