Skip to main content

I'm an Au Pair that got married to a U.S citizen. I was wondering how that will affect my Au Pair status?

New York, NY |

I've been married for 5 months to a us citizen, but i haven't told the agency as yet. I was planning on finishing up my year with the family and there's 3 months left until my term is up. I've recently decided to file my papers for my green card. I was wondering if telling the au pair that im married and leaving the program will affect my status while filing my papers?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


Do you have J visa? Being simply married is not a problem, leaving a program will put you out of status, but then you will be filing for adjustment. Please consult with immigration attorney who will look at your visa and all supporting documents.

The above is intended as general information only and cannot be relied upon as legal advice. Call (212)880-1538 for detailed evaluation of your case. Laws change constantly and vary from state to state. The legal principals discussed may differ substantially from your personal situation. Therefore, You should consult an attorney about your particular situation. Visit us at WWW.USIMMIGRATIONPLUS.COM Contact Immigration Law Offices of Tsirina Goroshit at 275 Madison Avenue, 4th Floor New York, NY 10016



I have a j1 visa that doesn't require a 2 year residency. My husband and i have already have everything to send in. I'm planning on telling the agency that im leaving , but im just worried that it might mess up something with my status.

Tsirina Goroshit

Tsirina Goroshit


you should be fine, however if you really want to have smooth process, have an attorney by your side. We are in NY, you may visit our site at or contact us at (212)880-1538


You will not need it anymore if your spouse petitions for you

NYC EXPERIENCED IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS; email:; Phone: (866) 456-­8654; Fax: 212-964-0440; Cell: 212-202-0325. The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter.


Your status is only effected if you leave the program. Once you leave the program you will be out of status. However, as you are married to a US citizen you can apply for your green card immediately. An immigration attorney can help you in your application process.

The answer provided here is general in nature and does not take into account other factors that may need to be reviewed for a more precise answer. You should consult with an immigration attorney before taking any action. The answer here is not intended to create an attorney-client relationship.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer