Skip to main content

I'm American and I want to apply to IR5 for my father. I'm filling I-130 petition - Do I need any other documents for step 1?

Orlando, FL |

I am filling i-130, do I need to send any other documents (my birth certificate copy, i-846, g-1145, his documents) together with the i-130, or should I send it later after I receive a response from the petition?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


You will need to submit evidence of your relationship and much more. This is a much more document intensive process than it appears. It is multi step and requires much attention to detail. Many people encounter delays due to errors. Please have an experienced attorney handle this for you.


The list and type of documentary proof to be submitted with each type of I-130 petition is contained in the Form's INSTRUCTIONS. Please make sure to READ them. If are still confused after reading those instructions, then this the proof you need to retain an attorney to help you with the process.

Behar Intl. Counsel 619.234.5962 Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. It is your responsibility to retain a lawyer to analyze the facts specific to your particular situation in order to give you specific advice. Specific answers will require cognizance of all pertinent facts about your case. Any answers offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship.


Yes, evidence that you are a US citizen, evidence that he is your father, etc.

(213) 394-4554 x0 Mr. Shusterman is a former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82) with over 35 years of immigration experience. His response to your question is general in nature, as not all the facts are known to him. You should retain an attorney experienced in immigration law to review all the facts in your case in order to receive advice specific to your case. Mr. Shusterman's statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship.


Evidence of the relationship and more including filing fees. Check the form instructions.

Robert Brown LLC
4767 New Broad Street
Orlando, Florida 32814