Skip to main content

I'm a US Citizen and my husband is in the US as an illegal immigrant.

Hillsboro, OR |

I want to get him legalized here in the US but he had a misdemeanor for a domestic violence issue that we had back in 2003 and was arrested, but it was dismissed from all charges upon completing a program proceeding DVDS Sentencing in 2004. He came to the U.S. back in Jan, 2002 and was stopped by immigration officers in Sonora for the night. The next day he entered and has never left the US, we have 4 children and I'm currently Unemployed. What can i do? Will the fact that I'm receiving Food Stamps effect as well?

Thanks you all for your Information it has been very helpfull. Just one more thing, will this case still be difficult even if the all the charges and arrest get expunged?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 5

Best Answer

Your case is an extremely complex one. I strongly encourage you to contact an experienced immigration attorney. With additional information, an experienced immigration attorney can help you to figure out the best plan for your situation. It certainly would not hurt to contact a pro bono attorney or legal aid agency to see if they can assist you--however, do not be surprised if they are not able to assist you since your case is a difficult one. Also, you may need to work with both an immigration and criminal attorney. Although I understand you may not have substantial funds to pay an attorney to assist you, the cost of making the wrong move in your case could have substantial consequences. An experienced immigration attorney anywhere in the US would be able to assist you. Best of luck!

FOR CONSULTATION on IMMIGRATION or FAMILY LAW MATTERS Contact: Law Offices of Jennifer L. Bennett, 312.972.7969,, 3806 W. Irving Park Road, Suite B, Chicago, IL 60618. The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advice specific to your situation and/or case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo are only general in nature; specific answers require knowledge of all facts.


I hear you and understand your plight. But you must understand that your husband's is a very, very complex case. It will never be resolved without the expert analysis and guidance of a reputable immigration attorney in your area. It is unfortunately not the Legal Aid Society or Catholic Charities which will be able to assit you with this. Still, I would try them and see what they have to suggest.

Behar Intl. Counsel 619.234.5962 Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. It is your responsibility to retain a lawyer to analyze the facts specific to your particular situation in order to give you specific advice. Specific answers will require cognizance of all pertinent facts about your case. Any answers offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship.


It is essential to have a detailed evaluation of your case. Try to get a pro bono attorney in your area.

The above is intended as general information only and cannot be relied upon as legal advice. Laws change constantly and vary from state to state. The legal principals discussed may differ substantially from your personal situation. Therefore You should consult an attorney about your particular situation. (212)880-1538 Law Offices of Tsirina Goroshit is a Full Service Immigration Law Office, at 275 Madison Avenue, 4th Floor New York, NY 10016

Irina S Batrakova

Irina S Batrakova


I agree with my colleagues. Try ICS in Portland or Catholic Charities to ensure that your case gets thoroughly analyzed by an immigration attorney. The best of luck to you.


This is a tough case and, like Mr. Behar stated, you probably won't get free legal advice from any of the agencies in the Portland area ... but you can try. Start with Immigration Counseling Service ... they're in the book.

Franco Capriotti - Senior Immigration Counsel

IMMIGRATION LAW PROFESSOR for 10 years -- LEGAL DISCLAIMER: This answer is offered for informational purposes only. It does not constitute an attorney-client relationship.


I agree with my colleagues. Yes it is complicated even if the charges are expunged, but that will help.

If you cannot get a probono attorney, many of us, including myself, offer payment plans.

Good Luck.

Dhenu Savla, Esq.
SwagatUSA, LLC