Skip to main content

I"m a U.S. citizen who wants to marry a Pakistani citizen who is living here legally now (temp work situation) ...

Phoenix, AZ |

I am a US citizen living in Arizona. My fiance was here with a student visa for the last four years, and now has a temporary work status with the state (to expire in June or July). We intend to marry here and in Pakistan and to live for some time in Pakistan but would like to have the choice to come and go from the U.S. to visit and maybe for work. How do I go about becoming married here, and then, securing U.S. citizenship for him?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 1


Depending on where you are going to be living for the next few years, you should speak with an immigration attorney to discuss the pros and cons of filing an application with USCIS upon marriage. If you do, then your spouse will receive permanent residence which will be valid for 2 years (if you are married for less than 2 years once the application is approved). Then, your spouse will have to remove the conditions, and only after three years will he/she be able to apply for US citizenship. However, there are certain residence requirements to apply for citizenship. Thus, if you do not intend on residing in the US, you may want to wait to file any application for him/her to ensure that he/she does not abandon his/her permanent resident status once he/she receives it.

There are many issues to consider when determining when to file an application for your spouse so that you can remain together in the US. I would recommend that you seek the advice of an immigration attorney to discuss the best process for your particular situation.