Skip to main content

I'm a U.S. citizen, married to a mexican national. What is the first step to start the process to bring him?

El Paso, TX |

got married a couple months ago, my husband lives and work in Mexico, I live here in the U.S. What is the first step to start? do I need a lawyer? or do I just fill out paperwork? and what would be the turnaround time? will he have to stay in Mexico until the papers have been approved?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 1


You will need to file an I-130 petition for alien relative for your husband. It will first get approved by the USCIS and then the file will be forwarded to the National Visa Center and then the U.S. consulate. He will then have an interview and obtain an immigrant visa stamp in his passport. Afterwards, he enters the U.S. and is approved for permanent residency at the port of arrival. This should take about 6months or so. After you file the I-130 you also have the option of having him come to the U.S. on K-3 visa. You should consult with a lawyer to discuss timeframes for the I-130 option and alternatively the K-3 option.