Skip to main content

I'm a immigrant, can I get married?

Bronx, NY |

My dad bought me to the US when I was 6 years old, I'm 20 with a 5 month old baby boy about to be 21 in a few weeks, my boyfriend wants to marry me, but I'm scared because I don't know the risk, I want to be a resident here with him & our son. Alot of friends say I may get departed like my mother, I need answers please help me

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


First apply for DACA and then see with an immigration lawyer if you qualify to adjust status in the IS if marry a USC.

Behar Intl. Counsel 619.234.5962 Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. It is your responsibility to retain a lawyer to analyze the facts specific to your particular situation in order to give you specific advice. Specific answers will require cognizance of all pertinent facts about your case. Any answers offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship.


You should consult an immigration attorney right away who will advise you of your options. Your best bet towards permanent residence is to marry your U.S. citizen boyfriend as long as you are doing it because you love him (not just for a green card). As long as you don't have a criminal history or past immigration fraud, you will likely not be deported for submitting a green card application.

You may also be eligible for Deferred Action (DACA) if you completed high school or a GED. DACA will NOT give you permanent residence, but will give you a work permit and a stay of deportation and you will not have to get married to stay here.

See my article below for more information: - Disclaimer: This a general answer to your legal question. Unless you have a signed engagement letter with me, you should not consider this information to be legal advice.

Kristina A. Gasson

Kristina A. Gasson



It sounds as though you may qualify for DACA. More information is needed in order to answer your question. You can call me if you would like to discuss the matter further. I do not charge for an initial consultation. My number is (201)875-2600. My office is next to the George Washington bridge.

Mr. Murray's response is NOT legal advice and does NOT create an attorney-client relationship. You should NOT rely on this response. Mr. Murray's response was generated without conducting a full inquiry as would occur during a face to face attorney-client consultation. It is likely that the response above may be made less accurate, or become entirely inaccurate, as you, i.e. the questioner, disclose additional facts that should only be discussed during a private consultation with an attorney. I strongly recommend that you consult an attorney who is licensed to practice law in your state, whereupon all relevant facts will be discussed. All responses posted by Mr. Murray on are intended as general information for the education of the public, and not for any specific individual.


To put yourself at ease, speak to an immigration lawyer

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer