Skip to main content

I'm 73 years old. I'm disable to work anymore. I have $6,000.00 credit card debt. I have only Social Security income. Help!

Brunswick, GA |

I just do not have money for payment on my credit cards. My medicine and rent takes most of the $1200 a month of my Social Security Income.
The phone calls from the credit card companies are awful. They never leave messages. They start at 8:00 a m seven days a week and some even call after 9: p m. Please advise. Thank You, Betty Cheek

+ Read More

Attorney answers 1


You may want to consult a bankruptcy attorney -- although it may seem like something terrible to do at your age. Bankruptcy may be an option, but your social security income is exempt from garnishment and state exemptkions in Georgia may mean they cannot collect a judgement from you even if they sued you. Many debtors attorneys are also concentrating on violations of the Fair Debt Collections Practices Act -- which it sounds like they may be violating. The National Association of Consumer Bankruptcy Attorneys has a referral service on their website which you can use to find a local attorney who can assist you.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer