Skip to main content

I'm 28 and have lived in the US my whole life, but was born outside the US and want to become a citizen What steps should I take

Arlington, TX |

My mother is a US citizen and became a citizen when I was 13 years old.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


You maybe a U.S. citizen. Consult with an immigration lawyer to help you with this matter.

Good luck

Elkhalil Law Firm, LLC
Hassan Elkhalil
(770) 612-3499

Disclaimer: This answer is for informational and educational use only. This answer does not create attorney-client relationship. For more details, I recommend a private consultation with an immigration lawyer.


You might already be a US citizen.

Bring your, and your mother's papers, to an immigration lawyer's office.

FORMER IMMIGRATION LAW PROFESSOR -- LEGAL DISCLAIMER: This answer is offered for informational purposes only. It does not constitute an attorney-client relationship.


I agree with my colleagues. Depending on a couple factors, you might be a citizen already. Bring all the paperwork/information about your entry into the U.S. and your mother's citizenship to an immigration attorney. You can see if you are already a a citizen, or if not, what your other options are. Good luck!


You may or may not have derived citizenship from your mother, you need to consult with an Immigration Attorney as soon as possible in order to review your particular circumstances and determine if you meet the requirements for derived citizenship.

Morales Law Firm P.A. 2100 Coral Way Ste 703 Miami, FL 33145 (305) 851-7856 This response is not offered as legal advice, but is only a general informational response for public interest. No one reading this is authorized to claim that an attorney client relationship exists with this writer or the writer's law firm.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer