Skip to main content

I'm 19 years. US citizen and my boyfriend is 25, out of status,an international student, can he adjust his status in the USA?

Dallas, TX |

I'm 19, US Citizen, and my boyfriend is 25, he's been going to school for 5 semesters and he is now out of school( out of status) for 3 semesters due to financial issues, he never applied for reinstatement ( his driver license and I-20 is valid until December 2014) We know each other for almost a year,We wanna get married in April and file for green card in July but Here is my problem, I never worked before and I'm unemployed, don't go to school or file tax returns , I have a 2 years babe with my ex boyfriend and my babe and I live in Section 8 housing since February.,Can I add my boyfriend on the lease when we get married or if it's not possible can we just live together without his name on lease ? and Is that gonna be possible for me to sponsor him for the green card?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


Only if he becomes your husband. As to section 8, you already asked that question before. You need to contact an attorney in TX who deals with specific section 8 rules. They differ from state to state.

NYC EXPERIENCED IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS; email:; Phone: (866) 456-­8654; Fax: 212-964-0440; Cell: 212-202-0325. The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter.For legal advice please contact us directly through one of the above.


As long as there is not another ground of inadmissibility, then he should be able to adjust after your marriage.

This answer is not to be construed as legal advice. For a free telephone consultation, contact us now at: (512) 215-5235 Austin, (214) 377-4822 Dallas, (713) 242-1783 Houston, (210) 957-8845 San Antonio Please dial extension 500


Once you are married, your husband would be eligible for adjustment of status. You will be able to sponsor him, but you will need a joint sponsor for the I-864 Affidavit of Support because you are not working.



I have one more question: If we don't "a lease showing joint tenancy of a common residence" because he is out of status, will the application for green card be denied?