Skip to main content

I'm 19 & a US citizen & my boyfriend is 21, he came to the US illegally & now has a worker visa. How can he get his citizenship?

Houston, TX |

My boyfriend came from Mexico at age 15 to gain a better life here with his sister in the US. He worked with a lawyer in Houston for a year or so and finally obtained a work visa and a Mexico passport. We want to get married soon and start a family. How can he receive US citizenship? And if we were to go to Mexico would he be able to re-enter with his passport?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


You need to speak with an experienced immigration attorney near you. Perhaps you might consider consulting with the same immigration attorney who apparently helped your boyfriend obtain an employment authorization card.

If you and your boyfriend have plans to marry, then, depending on your boyfriend's immigration history, and his history of encounters with law enforcement officials (if any), then he might be eligible to apply for permanent resident status through you. Meet with an immigration attorney to explore the possibilities.

(734) 369-3131. This communication does not establish and attorney-client relationship with the Law Office of Michael Carlin PLLC or any individual member of the office. Confidential information should not be sent through this form.


To get citizenship, he must first be a legal permanent resident.

Please do not confuse legal permanent residence with US citizenship. Confusing the two can result in a false claim to US citizenship. A false claim to US citizenship results in deportation and a permanent bar from the US.

J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.


You confused me; If he was admitted into the USA, and you want to marry him, you can petition for his GC

NYC EXPERIENCED IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS; email:; Phone: (866) 456-­8654; Fax: 212-964-0440; Cell: 212-202-0325. The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer