Skip to main content

I'm 18 and my girlfriend is 16 and pregnant. What is required to get a marriage license in Fannin County, GA?

Blue Ridge, GA |

I need to know the cost to obtain a marriage license, what are the laws on pregnant minors marrying in my county, and I need to know what I need in order to obtain the marriage license.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


You will need the permission of her parents.

I am exclusively a family law attorney, practicing primarily in the metro Atlanta, Georgia trial courts. However, I handle appeals from anywhere in Georgia.


You need her parents' permission.

If you find this answer helpful, please mark it here on AVVO as helpful. In answering you, I am attempting to communicate general legal information and am not representing you (and am not your lawyer). Do feel free to call me at 404-768-3509 if you wish to discuss actual representation (the phone call also does not retain counsel; that requires an office visit and appropriate paperwork). In that a forum such as this provides me with limited details and doesn't allow me to review details and documents, it is possible that answers here, while meant to be helpful, may in some cases not be complete or accurate, and I highly recommend that you retain legal counsel rather than rely on the answers here. (You can also email my office at . An email also does not retain my office, but can help you get an appointment set if you prefer not to call). I am happy to discuss possible representation with you. Any information in this communication is for discussion purposes only, and is not offered as legal advice. There is no right to rely on the information contained in this communication and no attorney-client relationship is formed. Nothing in my answer should be considered as tax-advice. To ensure compliance with IRS Circular 230, any U.S. federal tax advice provided in this communication is not intended or written to be used, and it cannot be used by the recipient or any other taxpayer (i) for the purpose of avoiding tax penalties that may be imposed on the recipient or any other taxpayer, or (ii) in promoting, marketing or recommending to another party a partnership or other entity, investment plan, arrangement or other transaction addressed herein. I am also required to advise you, if your question concerns bankruptcy, that the U.S. Congress has designated Ashman Law Office as a debt relief agency that can help people file bankruptcy.


The cost for the license itself varies from county to county, but it is roughly $30. Both parties will have to show a form of ID proving age, such as a birth certificate, driver's license or military ID. You must be at least 18 years of age to marry in Georgia, but if one is age 16 or 17, parents must give consent. If her parents live in Fannin County, they should appear before the probate judge there. If they live somewhere else, they can give their consent before a judge where they live. You will be seeking approval from the probate judge, so you may be looking at some additional costs. I suggest going to the clerk of the probate court in your county and telling them the situation to find out if there are additional costs/forms.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer