Skip to main content

I'm 18 and attending a 4 year college in July. How do I demand child support from my dad?

Grants Pass, OR |

He stopped paying when I turned 18 when I was still in high school. I will also be getting school loan money. I make around 700 a month from my job. I turn 19 in August.

He lives in Washington State

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


Under Oregon law, you can receive child support if you're between the ages of 18 and 21, if you're enrolled in an accredited school more than half-time and making satisfactory grades (as the school defines it). You are a necessary party to any child support case.

It's not clear from the question whether you had an existing child support order in place before. If you had a child support order with wage withholding (how support is normally enforced), then your father shouldn't have been able to stop paying without a court order.

You should start by contacting the Oregon Department of Justice, Child Support Enforcement Division, for your county. They're online at . Ask about getting an order in place. If you need assistance, you can consult with an attorney in your area.

Please read the following notice: <br> <br> Jay Bodzin is licensed to practice law in the State of Oregon and the Federal District of Oregon, and cannot give advice about the laws of other jurisdictions. All comments on this site are intended for informational purposes only, and do not constitute legal advice or create an attorney-client relationship. No posts or comments on this site are in any way confidential. Each case is unique. You are advised to have counsel at all stages of any legal proceeding, and to speak with your own lawyer in private to get advice about your specific situation. <br> <br> Jay Bodzin, Northwest Law Office, 2075 SW First Avenue, Suite 2J, Portland, OR 97201 | Telephone: 503-227-0965 | Facsimile: 503-345-0926 | Email: | Online:


If the child support order in your parent's case was from a state other than Oregon, your Father's obligation to pay child support may have ended when you turned 18. You might want to take a look at the last child support order in your parent's case.