Skip to main content

I'm 17 on probation and I've been charged with runaway & escape for cutting off and throwing my ankle monitor, What will happen?

Lawrenceville, GA |

I've been on probation for about a year now, & me and my mother have been having problems at home . I left for about 2 -3 weeks without anyone knowing where i was going with no intentions upon returning and before that i cut off my monitor so no one would find me. My mom says that i have receive a felony charge.

When the police caught me I was sent to a RYDC went to court the next day and they told me that i'm going to be in custody of DJJ and in need of a placement I'm currently in a group home.
My next court date is coming up soon and I'm not sure what will happen.

PLEASE help me !

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


I advise that you hire a criminal defense attorney as soon as possible, or apply for a public defender quickly, because you are facing serious charges, and if you are not careful, you may spend time behind bars beyond your 18th birthday. Good luck.


The problem is that asking the court to send you home is not likely to be granted because you essentially escaped from there and took of the ankle monitor. You don't say why you were on the ankle monitor to begin with, but those are usually reserved for serious charge probationers or ones with a history of running away. The good news is that you are in a group home rather than in RYDC now. If the DJJ is telling you they want you to be in their custody, it will be up to them to determine where you are to live. If they feel that you can get to the point where you can go back to your mother with no problems, they may be willing to do that after a while. If that is what you want, you will need to play by their rules, work on getting your life straightened out, work on finishing school and doing well at that, and staying out of trouble. Life may seem to suck right now, but you need to figure out what you want out of it and then figure out how to get there. Nothing is going to be easy, but at this point rebelling against those who have your life in their hands is just going to make it harder.

The above information is general in nature. In order to obtain more specific and legal advice upon which to base your important decisions, please contact our office directly for a free phone or in person consultation. Robert M. Gardner, Jr. Hicks, Massey & Gardner, LLP 53 W. Candler St. Or 718 Oak St. Winder, Ga. 30680 Gainesville, Georgia (770) 307-4899 (770) 538-0555 serving metro Atlanta and all of Northeast Georgia Bankruptcy, Divorce, Personal Injury, Worker’s Compensation, Medical Malpractice, Adoption, Civil and Criminal Litigation


First, STOP ADMITTING TO THINGS ON THE INTERNET! Next, get yourself an attorney right away to see if something can be worked out with the prosecutors at Gwinnett Juvy to keep you out of a home.
Please let me know if I can be of assistance. I would be happy to help.
M. Jason Rhoades