Skip to main content

I'm 17, Just got a job on Sat. and I'm becoming aware of the labor law violations. What can I do about this?

Brooklyn, NY |

I was made to work 9 hours on a Sunday without a break. I never get breaks, according to fellow employees. They also told me that I'd be made to work 10-11 hours without a break. They also don't tell me when I'll be staying until when I come in.

What exactly is being violated here, what can I do about it?

Also, if I get fired for requesting a half hour break/not being yelled at/only working 8 hours a non-school day/4 hours on a school day, can I do something about this?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2

Best Answer

Until you are 18, you need to get working papers from your counselor at school and give them to your employer. You cannot work more than 8 hours per day. And you cannot work later than 10pm. You are entitled to ask for one half hour lunch break, but are not paid for that half hour. You can file a complaint with the NYS Dept of Labor about any work place violations concerning student employees.



I have my working papers but I didn't give them to my boss. Should I ASAP?



And thanks so much! Could the report be anonymous? I don't want to be yelled at by my boss.


Attorney Foreman is correct.

You may have viable claims, but the value of those claims will be very small unfortunately. Possibly not worth the cost of pursuing.

This answer does not constitute legal advice and you should contact an attorney to confirm or research further any statements made in this answer. Any statements of fact or law I have made in this answer pertain solely to New York State and should not be relied upon in any way in any other jurisdiction. Additionally, we also encourage you to reach out to us via Twitter (!/WhiteRoseMarks) or Facebook ( if you have follow up questions as we do not monitor questions after providing an initial answer.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer