Skip to main content

I loaned an ex friend over $30,000 over the course of three years and he is refusing to pay me back. What are my options?

Columbia, MD |

All cancelled checks state "LOAN" on them. I have Promissory Notes signed by the both of us. there is also a collateral loan where I am the primary and he is secondary with the collateral being his 2009 BMW X5. I have been making the monthly payments since September 2012. He lives in Columbia MD and I did too. But I moved to WV for a job. He has avoided me since I moved. I have reached out to him on numerous occasions and he has refused to respond.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3

Best Answer

Initiate legal action against him for default of the Promissory Notes. You may need other evidence to prove the other collateral loan agreement for the loan to be enforceable.

Consult an attorney for a review of your documents.

DISCLAIMER: Brandy A. Peeples is licensed to practice law in the State of Maryland. This answer is being provided for informational purposes only and the laws of your jurisdiction may differ. This answer based on general legal principles and is not intended for the purpose of providing specific legal advice or opinions. Under no circumstances does this answer constitute the establishment of an attorney-client relationship. For legal advice relating to your specific situation, I strongly urge you to consult with an attorney in your area. NO COMMUNICATIONS WITH ME ARE TO BE CONSTRUED AS ARISING FROM AN ATTORNEY-CLIENT RELATIONSHIP AND NO ATTORNEY-CLIENT RELATIONSHIP WILL BE ESTABLISHED WITH ME UNLESS I HAVE EXPRESSLY AGREED TO UNDERTAKE YOUR REPRESENTATION, WHICH INCLUDES THE EXECUTION OF A WRITTEN AGREEMENT OF RETAINER.


I am sorry to hear about your situation. Fortunately, I have successfully helped several clients recover unpaid debts from ex-friends and ex-spouses, and in one case the person owed the money lived out-of-state as you do. I recommend contacting an attorney, such as myself, to draft a letter detailing the money owed and requesting that the ex-friend agree to enter into a written repayment agreement. The letter would state that failure to agree to a reasonable repayment plan may result in legal action. In all of the similar situations I have handled, the person owing the money has agreed to pay and we have set up a monthly direct transfer from their account. Please contact me and I would be happy to discuss your options.

This answer is for general advisory purposes only and does not establish an attorney-client relationship.


You may sue in the District Court and represent yourself. Are you on the car title? As a co-owner you can drive the car.