I live Pa. My wife and I separated in Oct. 2008. We are not divorced She talked me into signing over the house for no money in J

Milwaukee, WI |

I live Pa. My wife and I separated in Oct. 2008. We are not divorced She talked me into signing over the house for no money in Jan. 2009. Is it now to late to try and get my share?

I live in Pa.

It may not be too late to claim your share of the value of the house. Often times couples sign over property for various economic reasons while the divorce is proceeding. Generally, you only give up your right to make a claim for "equitable distribution" if you have signed a marriage settlement agreement or the divorce has been granted by the court. BEWARE: If your name was also on the mortgage to the property, signing the deed to the property over to your wife does not relieve you of your obligation under the mortgage. This is a separate agreement with the mortgage lender, so you may still owe the mortgage company without owning the house. This wil be a big problem if your wife stops paying the mortgage or if you try to buy a new house. You should contact a lawyer in your area as soon as possible to review this matter. The decisions you make now will have serious consequences for you in the future.