Skip to main content

I live in Texas, is it true, that just for this month (Sep) only, a permanent resident can file a petition for his/her spouse an

Houston, TX |
Attorney answers 6


Yes, a petition and application for adjustment of status needs to be filed before the end of this month if spouse is here in a legal status.


Yes last month too. Only applies if you are in status at time of filing or eligible under 245 I


File before September 30.

Please click the link at the very bottom for additional information.

Carl Shusterman, Esq.
Former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82)
Board Certified Immigration Attorney (1986 - Present)
Schedule a Legal Consultation - Telephonic, Skype or In-Person
600 Wilshire Blvd., Suite 1550
Los Angeles, CA 90017
(213) 394-4554 x0
Web: (English) (Spanish)

(213) 394-4554 x0 Mr. Shusterman is a former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82) with over 35 years of immigration experience. His response to your question is general in nature, as not all the facts are known to him. You should retain an attorney experienced in immigration law to review all the facts in your case in order to receive advice specific to your case. Mr. Shusterman's statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship.


Yes, as my colleagues indicated, you need to file before sept 30.

609-271-3573. This answer is for informational purposes only. It should not be construed as legal advice.


Not true. Urban legend.

NYC EXPERIENCED IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS; email:; Phone: (866) 456-­8654; Fax: 212-964-0440; Cell: 212-202-0325. The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter.


You can file a petition anytime. You can file an adjustment only when and if your wife's category is current like it is this month AND she is in legal status. Don't take guesses - retain one of the excellent immigration law firms in Houston to help you.