Skip to main content

I live in Staten Island.How do I file for divorce?

Staten Island, NY |

I live in Staten Island New York im a student and i have one baby which is 2 years old. i don't work. if we get divorce who gets the baby plus is there anywhere i can get lawyer for free. right now i don't have no money. thanks

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


You can seek court appointed counsel (which may or may not be granted) and poor person's status at the Supreme Court in St. James. Custody would be determined based on the best interests of the child.


You can do the divorce yourself using the forms provided by the court. You may be able to find a pro bono attorney by contacting your local bar association.

THIS COMMENT DOES NOT CONSTITUTE LEGAL ADVICE and are provided for informational purposes only. Answering this question does not create an attorney-client relationship should be taken as legal advice for any individual case or situation. This information is not intended to create, and receipt or viewing of this information does not constitute, an attorney-client relationship. Attorney is licensed to practice law only in the State of New York. All answers are based solely on New York law, unless otherwise specified.


You need to consult with legal services in Staten Island to see if you qualify.

DISCLAIMER This answer is provided for educational purposes only. By using or participating in this site you agree and understand that there is no attorney client privilege between you and the attorney responding. This site cannot be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed attorney that practices law in the State where this offense is charged; and, who has experience in the area of law you are asking questions about and with whom you would have an attorney client relationship. The law changes frequently and varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. The information and materials provided are general in nature, and may not apply to a specific factual or legal circumstance described in the question, or in the State where this charge is filed.