Skip to main content

I live in Okinawa, am an American Citizen, I married a Japanese woman. Can I divorce her from the States without her being here

South Amboy, NJ |

I filed for divorce in Japan but their laws are to protect their citizens. We have two children which I agreed to pay 800/mo child support.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


If you live in Okinawa you probably cannot file for divorce in the United States. Most states have a residency requirement before you can file for divorce.
However if you are now living in New Jersey for a year or more, then you can file for divorce here even if you wife is living in Japan.

This answer should not be construed as creating an attorney-client relationship, and is for informational purposes only, not legal advice.


I agree with Mr. Raevski.

Please be advised my answers to questions does not constitute legal advise and you should not rely on it, due to the fact that we have never met, I have not been aprised of the facts in you case nor have I reviewed any documents.


There is no residency requirement in NJ if you are filing for divorce under the cause of action of "Adultery". If you do however, meet NJ's one year residency requirement for the other causes of action, yes you can divorce her from the states without her being there. You must serve her in Japan with an international process server and receive confirmation of same.