Skip to main content

I live in NJ and my divorce and custody was done in TN. what are my rights as a non custodial parent?

Piscataway, NJ |

judge in TN Granted custody to father when there is was nothing bad said about me..I work and took car of my son for his 4 yrs.. August of 2013 my son started residing with dad. there is no visitations said in paper or child support ? what happens help me what are my rights?????? My ex tells me you cant take him anywhere from state for vacations or nothing and not even out of the country i feel like im being bullied ...I would never keep him away or kidnapped my son..I don't know what to do ..Lost custody of my son for no reason. I had proof of dad being unfit but judge didn't care.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


Not enough information to answer. Consult a local custody attorney in person.

IF YOU FOUND THIS ANSWER "Helpful" or " The Best Answer" YOU CAN THANK ATTORNEY RADDATZ BY MARKING IT SO because Avvo awards the attorney points. MS. RADDATZ is donating her time and talent by answering questions to help those in need of legal information. This is NOT a consultation and in no way creates an attorney-client relationship. YOU SHOULD ALWAYS PERSONALLY CONSULT WITH AN ATTORNEY IN YOUR LOCAL AREA who has specific expertise in the area of law you are asking about. Remember that it is the Lawyer who:  Punishes the wicked, Protects the innocent, Raises up the lowly, Opposes brutality and injustice, Seeks equality of humanity regardless of color, cast, sex or religion, Leads in every cause, and Seeks the best in everything.


That's not enough information on which to base a precise answer. Consult a local attorney and discuss the issue in detail.

Under the rules governing the conduct of attorneys in New York it may be necessary to remind you that this answer could be considered attorney advertising.


Based on the limited information you provided, you will have to file your application in Tennessee. Please also see which governs which state has jurisdiction for custody and support when parents live in different states.

Good luck.

I would be happy to follow up with you. Please email me directly or call my office if you would like to schedule an appointment either in person or by telephone. Disclaimer: You cannot rely on the advice of an attorney given over the internet. The exact facts of your situation, including facts which you have not mentioned in your question, may completely change the result for your situation. Please be aware that the above comments are neither protected by attorney-client privilege, nor may be the basis for a malpractice lawsuit should the suggestion be followed with undesirable results.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer