Skip to main content

I live in New Jersey, have been married for 6 years. Will I have to pay alimony?

Belleville, NJ |

I want to know what are the duration requirements of the marriage before I will be required to pay alimony

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


In NJ there are never hard and fast rules. Alimony can be temporary or permanent. Rehabilitative alimony is intended for a spouse who has limited education and jobs skills. If there are minor children and child support that also affects the amount and extent of alimony. Rehabilitative alimony goes for approximately 3 years. Permanent alimony usually is reserved for those married ten years or more. All of these issues should be discussed with an experienced NJ family lawyer.
You might find my legal guide on selecting and hiring a lawyer helpful.
You might find my legal guide on Is it Legal? Is it Illegal? helpful.
You might find my legal guide on the understanding the different court systems helpful.
You might find my legal guide on legal terms used in litigation helpful
(Even if you are not filing a lawsuit this information can be useful).

You might find Gabriel Cheong’s legal guide on the do and don’t of finances after a divorce helpful.
You might find my legal guide on divorce in general and in NJ helpful.
(Much of this information is valid for unmarrieds who have children together).
Mr. Sarno is licensed to practice law in NJ and NY. His response here is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/ client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter in question. Many times the questioner may leave out details which would make the reply unsuitable. Mr. Sarno strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in their own state to acquire more information about this issue.


Alimony decisions are goverend by statute in NJ. The length of the marriage, your respective incomes and the "marital lifestyle" are just a few of the factors to be considered. Feel free to contact me to discuss your case.