Skip to main content

I live in Maryland, can I record a conversation with my ex boyfriend and myself without telling him?

Silver Spring, MD |

Can I record conversation with my ex boyfriend and myself without telling him? If yes can I used the tape as evidence in court? Also do I need to have a translator the tape since it record in Amharic? If do I get the court to find someone to translate the tape or how does it work?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


The answer depends on where you are recording him. Maryland wiretap laws prevent you from recording him over the phone without his knowledge. If you need a translator in court for any reason then you need to file a request for spoken language translator with the court several days prior to any court date you may have.

This is not legal advice nor does it create an attorney-client relationship. This is for education and informational purposes only. It is always recommended that you contact an attorney with any concerns as each individual case is unique.


My colleague is correct.

DISCLAIMER: Brandy A. Peeples is licensed to practice law in the State of Maryland. This answer is being provided for informational purposes only and the laws of your jurisdiction may differ. This answer based on general legal principles and is not intended for the purpose of providing specific legal advice or opinions. Under no circumstances does this answer constitute the establishment of an attorney-client relationship. For legal advice relating to your specific situation, I strongly urge you to consult with an attorney in your area. NO COMMUNICATIONS WITH ME ARE TO BE CONSTRUED AS ARISING FROM AN ATTORNEY-CLIENT RELATIONSHIP AND NO ATTORNEY-CLIENT RELATIONSHIP WILL BE ESTABLISHED WITH ME UNLESS I HAVE EXPRESSLY AGREED TO UNDERTAKE YOUR REPRESENTATION, WHICH INCLUDES THE EXECUTION OF A WRITTEN AGREEMENT OF RETAINER.