Skip to main content

I live in Canada and I suspect that I have a warrant/indictment in NY, NY. How can I make sure before crossing the border?

New York, NY |

I live in Canada and I suspect that I might have a warrant or/and indictment in NY, NY. I want to fly for vacations in FL, but I want to make sure my name is clean and that I won't have any issues at the borders. I ran some background checks on the Net and found nothing, but I really want to make sure that I won't get arrested or retained at the border. I called legal aid and they told me to call the local clerk office and find out. But from what I read here it's not a good idea. What should I do?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 6


You should probably find an attorney in the area of the original arrest. Otherwise, calling the local clerk's office would be fine. They may not have all the information though.

George A. Vomvolakis

George A. Vomvolakis


George Vomvolakis Law Offices 275 Madison Avenue, 35th Floor New York, New York 10016 212.682.0700


Retain a local attorney who can make the appropriate inquiries.


A warrant might not show up on a background check. You can call the court where you think the case might be and ask (they may or may not tell you) or hire a criminal defense lawyer to check.

I am a former federal and State prosecutor and have been doing criminal defense work for over 16 years. I was named to the Super Lawyers list as one of the top attorneys in New York for 2012 and 2013. No more than 5 percent of the lawyers in the state are selected by Super Lawyers. Martindale-Hubbell has given me its highest rating - AV Preeminent - in the areas of Criminal Law, Personal Injury, and Litigation. According to Martindale-Hubbell”AV Preeminent is a significant rating accomplishment - a testament to the fact that a lawyer's peers rank him or her at the highest level of professional excellence." Fewer than 8% of attorneys achieve an AV Preeminent rating. I also have the highest ranking – “superb” – on Avvo. Feel free to check out my web site and contact me. The above answer, and any follow up comments or emails is for informational purposes only and not meant as legal advice.


Do you have any idea what the warrant would be for? If you know who was
investigating the case, you might be able to have a local criminal defense
attorney reach out to the appropriate law enforcement agency and see if
they can find out any info. If a warrant was lodged, it should be easy to

This answer has been prepared for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice of Todd A. Spodek, Esq., Spodek Law Group P.C. or any of its attorneys, and is not guaranteed to be correct, complete, or up-to-date. You should not act, or rely on any information in this website without seeking the independent advice of an attorney of your choice.


Your best bet might be to hire an attorney that works in the jurisdiction where you think you have the warrant. They can find out if there is one and then possibly take care of it for you. You should definitely get this all cleared up before traveling internationally.

If this answer was helpful please click that block. Answers in the forum are only general and it is always best to contact a criminal defense lawyer to discuss your case. We handle NY, NJ and all Federal Court cases. Bukh Law Firm P.C., 14 Wall Street, New York NY 10005, (212) 729-1632.


I am sorry to hear about your situation.

You should contact an attorney to discuss your questions as additional information would be helpful. You can also hire an attorney (or a friend) to do the searches in the country for you.

I wish you the best of luck.

Please remember that I do not normally monitor these questions after I have posted a reply.

Free phone consultation Monday — Thursday 1-5 pm.

Hayley Greenberg

Greenberg & Merola, LLP, Attorneys at Law
91 N. Franklin Street, Suite 211, Hempstead, NY 11550, (516) 887-1975

521 5th Ave. Ste. 1700, New York, NY 10175, (212) 593-6111

Additional Offices: Queens & Brooklyn

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer