I lied on a domestic violence report and my boyfrirnd could be facing jail time what should I do and can I go to jail for this

Lorain, OH |

I hit him first. I bit him on his neck and I didnt even tell the police that in the report. He broke two of my doors but he barley put his hands on me and I threw the first punch. I dont kno what to do because I dont know if I will get in trouble for lieing. Can you please help me

If you signed a police report, you have stated that the events listed was an accurate retelling of events. By lying, you have opened yourself to a lot of legal issues, including obstruction of justice and falsifying a police report. Depending on the circumstances, the DA could drop charges against your boyfriend and come after you. Also, if you were to be put on the stand and subject to testimony, and you lie there, you could be looking at fines and jail time for perjury. A lot of trouble for your one lie.

You should stop posting anything on the internet, since this is a public open forum, and see if you can find a criminal defense attorney in your area to discuss this matter with in some length and detail. Then, based on their advice and recommendation, discuss this matter with the police or the DA's office, if it has gone that far.

This answer is provided as a general opinion to a question posted on an internet forum. This does not create in either party the expectation that an attorney-client relationship has been entered into between the original poster and the Law Office of Reid Seino, LLC. Any information provided should not be solely taken as legal advice but in the context of general information. Please seek legal representation for any specific legal questions.

You could end up needing your own attorney because filing a false police report is a crime in and of itself. Additionally, if you assaulted him, then that would be a second crime.

Meet with an attorney in confidence and stop talking about the incident until you hire your own attorney. Don't risk your career, your future, and your freedom because you don't want to meet with an attorney of your own.

If I interpret your statement correctly--although you may have omitted the matter of the first strike--your recollection may have been ... delayed. Never be afraid of the truth. The threshold for Domestic Violence is very low. The description here isn't relevant as to "who started it". The description of the actions meet the threshold--but the victim's advocate may be able to intervene with the Prosecutor.

There is a flip side here. Be careful. If your relationship includes and/or accepts domestic violence--these patterns tend to be repetitive--and they tend to increase over time. Is this the relationship you seek to be in? Good Luck--and be careful.

The answers to questions provided in response to the request for assistance are general in nature, and reflect information which is primarily based upon general legal principals, and may additionally reflect Ohio principles of legal practice, as this is the primary location of this Attorney's practice. As with any legal advice, the advise is general in character, and should not be put into practice without specifically consulting your local counsel, who will possess far more insight into the applicable standards and laws of your specific State, your case's specific issues and the local Rules of Court and practices of the specific jurisdiction your legal action is governed by. You are specifically instructed : Do not proceed without first discussing this matter with your own local Attorney. This Office does not provide free legal advice by telephone. A 15 Minute Consultation can be obtained at no cost for certain types of legal cases, but to obtain same, an Office appointment is required. Provision of the answers to general questions does not constitute an act of representation, and the Attorney shall not be deemed to accept employment based upon the responses contained herein. The reader is advised that they utilize the general suggestions contained in the responses at their own risk, and under no circumstances should they disregard the advise of their present local legal counsel based upon any suggestions or opinions contained herein. Also, the bast method to discuss a case with an attorney is to do so directly, by scheduling a formal consultation in their office, bringing with you at the time of the meeting all of your relevant paperwork, including any contratcs, any Orders from Court, decrees, complaints, pleadings, etc., and any other relevant information for the attorney to review. General information via the internet is no substitute for an actual meeting with an attorney. The advice provided on line in response to the limited information is provided without charge. It is also provided without the benefit of face to face discussions, so before you act--consult an attorney in person.