Skip to main content

I lied about my name when I got pulled over the other day gave my best friends name and her liscense is suspended

Vineland, NJ |

What are the penalties for lying to an officer in the state of new Jersey after the tickets were issued

+ Read More

Attorney answers 5


You could be charged with the criminal offense of hindering apprehension. F
you have no criminal history jail is unlikely but a fine and criminal
record are likely.

Eric Mark, Esq.
744 Broad St.
16th Floor
Newark, NJ 07102
973-265-7677 Fax
Skype Username: EricMarkEsq
See my full profile and client


There are none unless you tell them that you gave false information and they charge you as such. It is the State's burden...say nothing and don't make this stupid mistake again.


In addition to my colleagues' answers, as a practical matter, you should consider how the consequences of your lies affect the viability of your friendship with your best friend. If her license is suspended and if the police think she's been driving while suspended, they might pursue charges against her. I'm not certain this will happen. But if it does, how will your friendship suffer? As to whether the police or the courts will recognize that you provided a false name, they might come to that conclusion; especially if your friend is charged while driving while suspended and as part of her defense argues she wasn't driving on the day you were pulled over. If they will have an epiphany and suddenly become aware of your real name - unlikely unless someone else tells them. As in all matters, I encourage all people to be honest and truthful.

Disclaimer: For a free consultation contact me directly at 973-519-0196 or If this answer was helpful, please mark it as helpful or as a best answer. Answering questions on does not create an attorney-client relationship. You are strongly encouraged to seek and retain your own counsel. Information and answers posted to this website are for general informational purposes only.


Did you receive a notice to appear in Municipal Court over this? If so, and this is your first time going to municipal court, you'll be arraigned. That means you'll be told about the criminal charge along with the possible consequences of a conviction if you are convicted. You should speak to a criminal defense attorney in person about what happened when you were pulled over in more detail so they can review the ticket(s) and the possible consequences a guilty finding would have. Good luck.

DISCLAIMER This answer is provided for educational purposes only. By using or participating in this site you agree and understand that there is no attorney client privilege between you and the attorney responding. This site cannot be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed attorney that practices law in the State where this offense is charged; and, who has experience in the area of law you are asking questions about and with whom you would have an attorney client relationship. The law changes frequently and varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. The information and materials provided are general in nature, and may not apply to a specific factual or legal circumstance described in the question, or in the State where this charge is filed. I am an attorney licensed to practice in the State of New Jersey. Consult a local attorney if your case arises outside the State of New Jersey. If you found this answer to be HELPFUL then you can vote that this answer was helpful. If you found this answer to be the BEST ANSWER of all those presented, then you can vote that this answer was the best answer presented. Also, please be advised that any response to any comments made by the asker do not create an attonrey client relationship.



I got tickets in her name but I just want to come clean cause I panicked at the time because I was helping my mom who was just put on a heart monitor


Your friend has a problem too. But you can be charged with giving false information to police. The implication of your friend under this statute is a crime. The false information is a disorderly. Under a separate statute it is also a disorderly persons offense. Although the maximum penalties include jail and probation you likely face just a fine and a record that may hurt employment. Your friend could go to jail depending on the facts.