Skip to main content

I lent my car to my cousin. He caused an accident and the car was not insured. Can I be sued.

Los Angeles, CA |

He has clean driving and criminal record. He was sober. He does not have his own car and does not have insurance. My car was not insured either. The damage for the other car was for about $8,000. It was a new Lexus. Nobody was injured. He is in the police report as a driver. I was not even there. It happened in Los Angeles California. Thank you

+ Read More

Attorney answers 6

Best Answer

As the registered owner of the vehicle, you can be held liable for up to $5,000 in property damages. (So, to answer your question, yes--you can be sued.)


Although your car and driver were uninsured, it does not mean that the driver of the Lexus was uninsured. Most likely, the driver of the Lexus has uninsured motorist coverage and should be able to collect from his insurance company. However, his insurance company more than likely will be seeking reimbursement for whatever they have to pay out and quite likely will be contacting you. In California, the law requires that minimum coverage be acquired if driving a vehicle here. Good luck.

The above is general legal and business analysis. It is not intended nor construed to be "legal advice" but rather it is analysis, and different lawyers may analyze this matter differently, especially if there are additional facts not reflected in the question. I am not your attorney until retained by a written retainer agreement signed by both of us. I have been licensed to practice law in California since 1978. See also terms and conditions item 9, incorporated as if it was reprinted here.


in most cases being the owner of a car does not make you legally liable for what a different driver does in your car. Unless there was negligence entrustment, for example if you knew he was drunk or a dangerous driver.

Michael Raymond Daymude

Michael Raymond Daymude


Not the rule in CA. Owners are liable for the actions of permissive users up to the minimum limits of our financial responsibility laws (15/30/5). For negligent entrustment there is no limit to liability.


You could be sued as the registered owner of the vehicle. You should contact him and try to negotiate some terms of settlement (possibly installments).

Nothing in this communication should be construed as creating an attorney client relationship. This is for informational purposes only. Attorney will take no action on your behalf unless and until a written retainer agreement is signed. There are strict time deadlines on filing claims and, as such, you are advised to consult with and retain an attorney immediately to file such claims timely or you will lose any right to recovery.


If the owner of the other car files a claim for Uninsured driver, his company will reimburse him and come after you and your friend for reimbursement. Also, the DMV will suspend your friend's license for driving without insurance. You may also be suspended. The only way to regain your license is to pay the claim. You can do this by paying outright the amount demanded or by entering into an agreement to pay. If you or your find do not have any money, then you may consider talking to a BK lawyer. Best of luck.

This answer is provided by Manuel A. Juarez, Esq., El Abogado de Accidentes de Autos de California: 510-206-4492. El Abogado de Accidentes de Autos provides answers of a general context. These answers are not intended to form an attorney client relationship. El abogado de Accidentes de Autos y Lesiones Personales practices in Antioch, Berkeley, Concord, Oakland, Hayward, Martinez, Newark, Richmond, San Francisco and San Rafael. El abogado de accidentes y lesiones is licensed only in California. This information is good only in California and it is not to be taken as legal advice on car accidents, personal injury, divorce, bankruptcy or in any other type of situation. Esta respuesta es del Abogado de Accidentes de Autos y Lesiones Personales de Acidentes de carros, Manuel A. Juárez, 510-206-4492. Abogado Hispano de Accidentes, Divorcios, Abogado Latino de Accidentes, y Abogado de Acidentes de Oakland, Hayward, San Francisco, y California. Estas respuesta son solo para información general y no consisten en consejo legal sobre divorcios, mantención de esposas, mantención de hijos o bancarrotas. Las respuestas son comentarios legales que no forman una relación de abogado y cliente. Manuel Juarez, Esq., esta licenciado solo en el Estado de California.


Yes. Work out a payment plan.

Only 29% Contingency Fee! Phone: 215-510-6755

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer