Skip to main content

I lent money to a friend what kind of form do i need as an agreement to pay back

Orlando, FL |

i lent a friend of mines $5000.00 but i want to make sure he pays me back so i was wondering what type of form should i use

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


A promissory note is what is normally used but you should have had the friend sign before giving them the money. If they have the money they can refuse to sign the note.

I provide a free 15 minute telephone consult for security deposit claims and eviction defense. No attorney-client relationship is created by answering questions in this public forum. If you wish to create an attorney-client relationship, you must contact me directly and sign a representation agreement. Answers are provided based on general ideas and an answer specific to your situation would require a review of all documents.


You should really have done this before lending him the money.

A simple contract should suffice. Make sure to list both party names, that you lent him $5000, and that he promises to pay you back. I recommend listing a date the $5000 has to be paid back by. Make sure both parties sign.

DISCLAIMER This answer is not legal advice nor does it create an attorney-client relationship between any user/reader and The Law Offices of Jimmy Allen Davis, P.L.. We encourage and welcome you to contact us about your legal problems and visit our website at or email me at


A promissory note, but it will not guarantee you will be repaid, just that he truly borrowed the money.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer