I left my wife 20 yrs ago, filed papers, couldnt find her to sign, I didnt know there was more to do. I thought we were divorced

Green Bay, WI |

I assumed we were divorced and remarried 8 yrs ago to the love of my life. I found out Im not divorced. We were married for about a month if my memory serves right. I found her on facebook and talked, she wont sign unless I give her 2 grand. I dont have that. Shes treatening me with lawyers and bringing it to the news. I live in Wisconsin and she lives in Tennessee. So two questions, What do I do with the first wife to divorce and can I get into trouble for being remarried. Ive had no contact with the first wife in 20 yrs. I truely didnt know I was still married.

Best Answer

You need to contact a family law attorney and proceed with a divorce against your first wife. Your current marriage is void under Wisconsin law.

can i go to jail for this. Im going to file at the courthouse and hire a lawyer, thanks, but can I go to jail?

ill face any punishment, but just want to know

does my current wife (or whatever she is, shes my life) need to get an annulment?

First, I would suggest contacting an attorney in your area because the law changes from state to state. However, if you are still married to your first wife then your second marriage is void and is not valid in the eyes of the law. You will need to get a divorce from your first wife and then get remarried to your spouse now in order for it to be valid. It does not matter that you thought you were divorced because in reality you were not. Contact a family law attorney in your area. I hope this helps!

Can I go to jail? Does my spouse have to get an annulment? Do I have to find her to get a divorce and to get her to sign after no contact for 20 yrs?

You've been incrediably helpful and I thank you from the bottom of my heart, my current wife (or I dont know what to call her now) but shes my life. We have three babies ages 2, 3, and 4. Thats why Im so scared, they are all my life.

Anna Gray Carpenter

Anna Gray Carpenter

I am sorry that you are in this situation. However, I really do think you need to contact an attorney in your area. The laws change from state to state and I am only familiar with NC law since I am an attorney in NC. Your wife does not have to get an annulment. Your marriage is treated as void. You were never legally married and your marriage will not be recognized under the law. In NC your second marriage would be considered bigamy and that is a felony offense in NC. That is most likely not true for your state though. Get in touch with an experienced attorney soon!

thank you, you're truely a wonderful person

You could be criminally charged, you need to seek legal help ASAP.
I would look for someone that does both Divorce/Family Law and Criminal Law so that they have contacts in both areas.

Good luck with your circumstance.