Skip to main content

I left a job after 5 years for what I thought was a better opportunity, 3 days in I realized how much illegal activity was going

Torrance, CA |

this business wanted me to commit forgery had people working under the table and was over charging customers . most important they wanted be to sign ca state documents that clearly stated under penalty or perjury of the law .. I addressed that I was not the person who signed the blank for and they said fill it out anyways I had to do this for multiple orders. I did not feel comfortable and I told the mgmt. AND they said they would have it done correctly the went behind my back and forged it and then gave it to me to submit. I had to quit I did not want to be responsible should I report it to the state of California and now I am out of a job can I get compensation from the business for loss of wages.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


You were smart to quit. Different attorneys will have different opinions about reporting legal violations - unless I knew more facts, my analysis would be no.

The above is general legal and business analysis. It is not "legal advice" but analysis, and different lawyers may analyse this matter differently, especially if there are additional facts not reflected in the question. I am not your attorney until retained by a written retainer agreement signed by both of us. I am only licensed in California. See also terms and conditions item 9, incorporated as if it was reprinted here.


You may have a claim for constructive discharge. A constructive discharge claim is essentially (i) when the employer makes the conditions of work so intolerable that no reasonable person who wishes to remain employed would continue working; and (ii) the employer is motivated by an improper purpose such as discrimination against a protected class (i.e. race, religion, gender, sexual orientation, military service, disability, etc.) or retaliation for reporting or refusing to engage in illegal conduct.

You should also file for unemployment immediately.

You should also consult a lawyer to discuss your rights and how to proceed.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer