Skip to main content

I just went for my fingerprint for my permanent 10yrs resident since getting my green card I have traveled back home twice last

Washington, DC |

Year may for 3 weeks and I also plan on going in march for 4 weeks.I want to know if traveling in march will affect me filing for naturalization in November which will be the right time to file for naturalization. I read I have to be in the country 13months straight before applying how true is that? Please advise. Thanks

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


You need to be in the US for half of the eligibility period. If you are married to a US citizen, and living together, your physical presence must be 18 months. If you obtained your green card through another basis, you need to be in the US 30 months. In both cases you may file 90 days before the qualifying period.

The herein content is for general informational purposes only, and may be predicated on incomplete facts. It should not be relied upon in making legal decisions or assessing your legal rights or risks. Neither does the herein reply create an attorney-client relationship.



So does that mean since I traveled last may, and my 3rd year anniversary is march of 2015 I can't apply? Or not forgetting I went to Jamaica with my US wife last year october. Did I mess the whole procedure up? I haven't been out if the country more than 3 weeks max since I got married.. what advise is there?


You do not have to be in the country 13 months straight before applying. Your traveling in March will not affect your continuous presence for eligibility for citizenship.

Ismail T. Shahtakhtinski, Esq.
Attorney & Counselor at Law
I.S. Law Firm, PLLC
1199 N Fairfax St., Ste 702
Alexandria, VA 22314
Tel: (703) 527-1779

The information provided in this answer is designed to provide useful information and background materials about I.S. LAW FIRM, PLLC. The information provided is not intended to and does not constitute legal advice, and does not create an attorney-client relationship between you and I.S. LAW FIRM, PLLC. Any communication, including electronic mail, through this website may not be confidential or privileged. For legal advice, you should consult with an attorney familiar with your circumstances and seek the advice of counsel in the appropriate jurisdiction. The hiring of an attorney is an important decision and should not be based upon written descriptions of I.S. LAW FIRM, PLLC’s experience. Every case is different and similar results may not be obtained in your case. I.S. LAW FIRM, PLLC does not endorse or sponsor any links from this website to other websites and has not reviewed and does not accept responsibility for their contents.


That is not true. You have to be physically present in the U.S. for half of the statutory period (either 5 years or 3 years depending on how you got your permanent residence) and should not have traveled out for more than 6 months during that period.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer