Skip to main content

I just want to know if my husband should pass away and he has willed his house to his daughter will I be able to get it

Colchester, CT |

We have been married for 2 years and he said he was going to change it to my name but that it wouldn't make any difference because i am his wife and i will get it

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


The Will only matters if the house is titled in your husband's name alone. Even if the Will applies, you may have certain rights under CT law. I would look into this, now, however, because you do not want to have a fight or an uncomfortable standoff with the daughter. Even if you are legally right, it could still cost you time, money and aggravation that could easily be avoided, if the estate plan is properly set up.

James Frederick

***Please be sure to mark if you find the answer "helpful" or a "best" answer. Thank you! I hope this helps. ***************************************** LEGAL DISCLAIMER I am licensed to practice law in the State of Michigan and have offices in Wayne and Ingham Counties. My practice is focused in the areas of estate planning and probate administration. I am ethically required to state that the above answer does not create an attorney/client relationship. These responses should be considered general legal education and are intended to provide general information about the question asked. Frequently, the question does not include important facts that, if known, could significantly change the answer. Information provided on this site should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed attorney that practices in your state. The law changes frequently and varies from state to state. If I refer to your state's laws, you should not rely on what I say; I just did a quick Internet search and found something that looked relevant that I hoped you would find helpful. You should verify and confirm any information provided with an attorney licensed in your state. I hope you our answer helpful!


Attorney Frederick is correct in that you should address this issue with you husband now not later. Connecticut law provideds that if your husband fails to provide for you under his Will that was executed before teh marriage that you will receive the same share of the estate the you would have received if he had left no will unless: (1) It appears from the will that the omission was intentional. This means that you could have a fight with the daughter in probate court. If you win the most you would be entitled to is one-half of the estate. This obviously could be more than or less than the house. This assumes that daughter is not on the deed with him as a co-owner with rights of survivorship. If that is the case, the daughter gets the house and you lose.

You would be wise to encourage your husband to see an attorney to make sure that his and your wishes in this regard are infact met. If he refuses then ....

LEGAL DISCLAIMER This response is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. This response is only for general informational purposes. It is limited to only provide general information about the matter asked by the question. Virtually always the question does contain all of the necessary facts that if provided could significantly alter the information provided and result in the reply being inappropriate. I strongly suggest the questioner to confer with an attorney in his or her state with experience in the subject matter of the question so that proper legal advice may be provided. By using this site you understand and agree that there is no attorney client relationship or confidentiality between you and the attorney providing an answer. This site should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed attorney that practices in the subject area in your state, who is familiar with all of your specific facts and all of the circumstances and with whom you have an attorney client relationship. Law changes frequently and can differ greatly from one state to another. The answers provided are general in nature, and may not apply to a specific factual or legal circumstance identified by the question or not contained in the question. Circular 230 Disclaimer - No information in this comment may not be used to eliminate or reduce penalties by the IRS or any other governmental agency.


I agree with both attorneys. NOW is the time to discuss your rights with an experienced estate planning attorney. For example, here in Oregon, the spouse gets 25% of the deceased's probate estate REGARDLESS what the will says. BUT if your husband puts the daughter's name on the deed, she will become the SOLE owner after he passes away.