Skip to main content

I just received a summons that I am being sued for an auto accident that I was not involved in.

Lawrenceburg, IN |

I talked to the attorney for the Plantiff and he told me that the Accident Report did not contain all the information and that he researched multiple people with my same name living in the same county that I live in and he must have made a mistake and picked the wrong person. He told me that if I am found not to be the person involved he will write a letter to me saying I will be removed from the suit. I have written a letter in response and filed with the Clerk of Courts but they are telling me that as of now I remain as a Defendants in this law suit. What should I do?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 9


Immediately alert your insurance company at the time of the alleged event. If you did not have insurance you should retain an attorney to help you out of this situation. The plaintiff's lawyer is treading on some very thin ice; particularly, if the attorney knowing maintains an action that has no merit.

Personal injury cases only; I'm good at it; you be the Judge! All information provided is for informational and educational purposes only. No attorney client relationship has been formed or should be inferred. Please speak with a local and qualified attorney. I truly wish you and those close to you all the best. Jeff


Yes - report the matter to your insurance carrier immediately.


Turn it over to your insurance company.They will handle it for you and take care of the necessary paperwork.

I will evaluate your case for free. I can also refer you to an attorney to help you if I cannot help you. Joyce J. Sweinberg, Esquire 215-752-3732 Disclaimer: Please note that this answer does not constitute legal advice. It is merely intended to provide general information to aid the poster in finding answers to the problem posed. This answer does not create an attorney-client relationship. In most cases, it is best to contact an attorney directly to find answers to your problems.


Turn it over to your insurance company to sort out.

Only 29% Contingency Fee! Phone: 215-510-6755


Notify your insurance company, tell the rep you are being sued and the insurance company should then be required to provide an attorney to assist you getting dismissed from the case.

This response is given solely as a general response to the question and does not create an attorney / client relationship between the questioner and responder.


Turn it over to your insurance company..Your carrier will protect you and if need be provide counsel... in addition i would recommend recontacting the Plaintiff's counsel who could be in jeopardy if he fails to respond!


First, send a certified letter to to lawyer explaining that you are NOT the proper person and that you will take action against his law firm and his client is the claim is not withdrawn. Offer to give him an Affidavit to support your position. Also, notify your auto insurance agent who will then turn the claim in to your auto insurance. They will hire a lawyer and you should explain to that lawyer what happened. They will essentially represent you for free. Good luck and I'm sorry you had to be the innocent victim of a mistake. Hopefully, the Plaintiff's lawyer will come to his senses very soon. Jason Reese


You should notify your auto insurance company immediately so that they can respond and defend the action on your behalf. Good luck.

Chris Wyant Attorney at Law Brown Tompkins Lory & Mastrian 608 East Market Street Indianapolis, Indiana 46202 317-631-6866 phone 317-685-2329 fax


You need to give the lawsuit documents to your car insurance company immediately, along with a copy of the police report (if you can get it). Let your insurance company know that it was not your that was in the car accident and that you are giving them the papers out of an abundance of caution.

This answer is for informational purposes only and is a general response to a general question. This answer is not meant to be specific legal advice, does not constitute specific legal advice and should not be relied upon as legal advice. This answer does not create an attorney-client relationship. This answer also does not constitute nor is it intended as attorney advertising. You should always consult an attorney for advice regarding your specific, individual situation. Contacting Speed Law Office does not create an attorney-client relationship.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer