Skip to main content

I just received a photo radar speeding ticket in the mail. What do i do?

Peoria, AZ |

I was driving 56mph in a 45 mph in El Mirage, Arizona. I know that this is 11 mph over. The only problem is that my mom received the ticket because she is registered to the vehicle. This is my first and only time receiving one of these and I don't know what to do. The notice had no details of court date or fine to be paid. Do I call the Municipal court or do I wait to be "served?" Also, i read that in Arizona no points will be issued or deducted (not sure what the rule is) on my licence. Is that true? Because i am currently attending college to become a police officer in the future and don't know if this will deny me to be accepted because I have broken the law. I don't know what to do....please help!! :(

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


The law requires that you be personally served.
If the ticket was sent to your mother, she is not obligated to identify you as the driver.

If you end up being personally served, or served under other valid means (such as certified mail), you will need to respond. You are likely eligible to do drivers school instead of paying the ticket (assuming you do not have any other tickets within the past 2 years). This will prevent the ticket from showing up on your driving record.

I would not be too concerned about becoming a police officer. I don't think you would be denied just because of a speeding ticket. I suspect most police officers have received a speeding ticket at some point in their lives.


I agree with the other attorney's comments. However, "IF" you are properly served I would suggest fighting the ticket. These are winnable, if not before the traffic court, certainly on appeal to the superior court. It just depends on how important it is to you to avoid the traffic record or use of traffic school. I also suggest that you follow your case online at the link below to assure that a process server doesn't improperly claim you were served (in which case you or your attorney would have to appear to challenge the process). Good luck.


I agree with Attorney Orents answer