Skip to main content

I just purchased a late model used car. I refused to sign a binding arbitration agreement. Can they force me to sign it?

Chicago, IL |

I signed a contract to buy it. but refuse to give up my rights. Can I be forced to buy the car? And do I have to give up my rights?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


No, you cannot be forced to buy the car, you can walk away from the sale....if you've not already signed.

Hard to tell exactly your status because you suggested that you already signed. If its a done deal, and the contract contains a BA clause you just discovered, you're bound by the agreement full stop.

Your state MAY have a short period during which you may back out, check with an IL attorney ASAP.

NOT LEGAL ADVICE. FOR EDUCATION AND INFORMATION ONLY. Mr. Rafter is licensed to practice before the state and federal courts in Virginia. There is no implied or actual attorney-client relationship arising from this education exchange. You should speak with an attorney licensed in your state, to whom you have provided all the facts before you take steps that may impact your legal rights. Mr. Rafter is under no obligation to answer subsequent emails or phone calls related to this matter.


Your question is a little confusing. If you already signed a contract to purchase, then you are not in a position to refuse to execute a binding arbitration agreement if it is in fact part of your contract.


No, you can't be "forced" to sign anything.


Nope. They cannot force you to sign it.