I just graduated from cosmetology school, and they are withholding my transcript so that I can't take my state boards.

Sycamore, IL |

I graduated from cosmetology school almost two weeks ago. They had a small ceremony for me and handed me my certificate. The certificate states that " this is to certify that I have completed the prescribed curriculum in cosmetology". When I returned the following week to pay my sign up fee for my state boards I was informed that there was still work that I needed to complete, and they will not sign me up for state boards of give me my transcripts. That I now need to sign a new contract to pay more money. I have not signed anything yet. I don't owe them any money and I completed all practicals and exams. Is there anything I can do???

Filed under: Education law

What is the "more money" for?

So that I can finish the work that is incomplete.

Alan James Brinkmeier

Alan James Brinkmeier

I see. So you do not have the necessary work done to qualify for the state boards, right?

Correct. I did the work, but not enough of it. When I showed one of the teachers what I had a week prior to my graduating, she said it was fine. I've already taken and passed my school boards.

Can they make me do more even after I've received my certificate?

I'm missing some sign offs, but I've taken every test.

Alan James Brinkmeier

Alan James Brinkmeier

Have you tried to apply for the state boards NOT going through the school?

The sign offs are for the school, not state boards.

No I have not. I looked up the requirements to take the state boards on their official website. It said I just needed to complete the required 1500 hrs from a licensed school.

The certificate doesn't mean much in and of itself. But, as the other responder asked, what's the money for? If it's just a scheme to get more dough out of you, the school may be committing a violation of its own licensure. You can check with the Illinois Department of Public Health to see whether there are other cases like this out there involving this school and if so, they might help you. Good luck.

Please be sure to mark the best answer to your question. My answers are general and do not form an attorney-client relationship. I'm happy to talk to prospective clients in my areas of concentration and geographical location.