I just got serviced a notice of hearing on a protection order should I just appear or lawyer up?

Warrenton, MO |

this is my daughter in law who lives 3 hrs from me I don't think she has much of a case I never layed hands on her. she is just mad because she was having an open affair living with my son so I turned her new boyfriend in to the military for mis conduct

You'll have a better chance winning if you hire counsel. This is a serious matter and the court will take it seriously.

This answer is for general purposes only and does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Consult with an attorney if you need further assistance.

I did consult 2 attorneys and both stated if she was to show up just ask for a future date so I may obtain an attorney? do I do this before any statements or after I plee

If you lose the hearing and the Court continues the protective order, if you violate the protective order in the future you could face a charge of a Class A Misdemeanor. While the protective order hearing is not a criminal matter, you should probably at the least consult with an experienced criminal defense attorney. You do increase your chances of winning making sure you are represented.

It is extremely risky to attend without an attorney. Case or no case go prepared.