Skip to main content

I just got a DUI in the middle of planning to study abroad this Fall for a semester.

Macomb, MI |

I haven't yet completed my study abroad application and am not sure I want to pay the app fee if I'm going to need it for court fines. It is my first offense in Michigan, yet I blew high. Should I continue applying? I am receiving scholarships to study abroad. I have a 3.8 gpa. Will any of this help my case? I also would need to get a VISA. Could I be denied if convicted for a DUI?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 5


I would respectfully recommend you consult with an OWI Specialist like myself, to ensure all your available defenses are reviewed/presented, and to effectively plea bargain on your behalf. If you blew .17 or above, you may be charged under the fairly-new "Super Drunk" or "High BAC" offense, which will result in a suspension of your license for a full year. The first 45 days of that year will be what is called a "hard" suspension, with no driving whatsoever. Thereafter, for the balance of the year, you will have to pay to have an Ignition Interlock Device ("IID") -- a breathalyzer -- installed and maintained on your vehicle. Also, if you want to leave the State to study abroad, you will need the Court's permission, which can be difficult to secure. I offer free initial consults; please feel free to call me. Warmest regards, Matt Catchick. 248-606-5522.


As you might expect, my first suggestion is that you retain an attorney in the underlying matter.
There is insufficient detail in order to be a tell when and for how long you would be broad but generally such things will be accommodated if you do not have prior similar issues.
On that subject, one of your comments makes me nervous when you relate that this is "my first offensive Michigan". Do you have any other prior alcohol-related violations in the past in other states? That could change the expected scenario significantly.
Regarding your questions about the visa, that I cannot answer. The fact that you are receiving scholarships to study abroad and have maintained a 3.8 GPA are both in your favor.

To the PROSPECTIVE client, please call myself or another attorney for your choice with more detaiils and an appointment. My PRELIMINARY answer to your question(s) is for general purposes and based upon what little information you have conveyed. It is based on such limited information that the general answer should never be relied as a reason for your action or inaction. My response does NOT establish an attorney-client relationship and such may only be established by mutual agreement, and the signing of a written retainer agreement, which will generally require payment for our services, as this is what we do for a living and, just like you, we must get paid for our work.. .


Get an experience criminal attorney familiar with international law ASAP. Different States and Countries all have different, ever-changing laws. Don't get held up at Customs. Get things straight now and then enjoy your trip. Best of luck.

The above is general information only and is not legal advice. The information provided does not form an attorney-client relationship, and should not be relied upon to take or refrain from taking any action. I am not your attorney until we sign a retainer agreement.


You need an attorney to help you out with this. Super Drunk law in Michigan can carry heavy fines and costs. You need to talk to an attorney as soon as possible.

Kennedy Law Office, PLLC
Free Consultations. Payment Plans.

Disclaimer: No attorney-client relationship has been established. Please contact an attorney about your legal rights. This answer is for educational purposes only.


Sorry to hear about your legal troubles. I'm going to link to a helpful article that discusses the consequences of a Michigan DUI.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer