Skip to main content

I just found out my wife is having an affair. What steps do I need to take to prepare for separation and divorce?

The Woodlands, TX |

We are both professionals. The affair is with a co-worker of hers (also married).

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


Texas has no concept of a legal separation. You're married until you're divorced and the rules of community property apply.

The best thing to do now is take inventories of your property, start logging evidence you think will be useful to proving an affair and start looking around for a local attorney. Also take a long, hard look at whether you want to move out of the house because once you move, it's really tough to get back in.



Thank you. Can you recommend any attorneys in the Houston/Woodlands area?


Step one is schedule an appointment with an experienced matrimonial attorney in your area. Step two is follow the advice of your attorney. Listing of assets and liabilities, income and expenses on a monthly basis is helpful.

If this answer is helpful, then please mark the helpful button. If this is the best answer, then please indicate it. Thanks. For further information you should see an attorney and discuss the matter completely. If you are in the New York City area, then you can reach me during normal business hours at 718 329 9500 or


You should immediately speak with an attorney and decide how to best use the information which you have discovered to your maximum benefit. I am a board certified specialist in the field of family law and would be glad to visit with you. I have attached a link to my website , which contains my contact information, in the event that you want to contact me.

All answers provided through Avvo are intended to assist in answering simple legal questions and should never be understood to have created or to have intended to create an attorney client relationship between myself and any individuals submitting questions.


There are some excellent attorneys in the Woodlands. Look around and talk to one.

You are probably feeling like you've been punched in the stomach. Take a deep breathe & try to think clearly. I recognize that this is extremely difficult to do. Hire an attorney that you feel comfortable with and that you trust.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer