Skip to main content

I injured my back about 3 yrs ago 10 lb limit 10% disability, Kept the job with light duty. Now the company has only heavy labor

Salt Lake City, UT |

This job has become a nightmare. I used to be okay to lift heavy objects, but now I can't and my job says if I can't cut it than I should be looking elsewhere. Is this right?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


You need to speak with a local worker’s comp. attorney ASAP. You did not state if you have reached an end of healing and whether you have had permanent work restrictions given. If you have permanent work restrictions then you need to find out the time frame your employer has to decide whether they can meet these restrictions or let you go.

Good luck.

DISCLAIMER: David J. McCormick is licensed to practice law in the State of Wisconsin and this answer is being provided for informational purposes only because the laws of your jurisdiction may differ. This answer based on general legal principles and is not intended for the purpose of providing specific legal advice or opinions. Under no circumstances does this answer constitute the establishment of an attorney-client relationship.


I agree with Mr. McCormick. In some jurisdictions you are entitled to vocational rehabilitation services if you cannot return to your previous job because of your injuries. I suspect you may have had an attorney help you in your case to secure the 10% impairment. Let him know, you may be able to open your claim for worsening. Hang in there, it's been tough but you may have rights you are unaware of. Keep working until you cannot any longer and make sure you get a doctor's note commenting on your inability to do what the employer now wants you to do.


I think you should start putting out the feelers for a lighter job. Whether they can fire you is less important than whether you can do the job. Even if they don't terminate you in the near future, you run the risk of re-injury and then you WILL have a serious problem.

Attorneys are very competitive. Choose the Best Answer so we know who helped you the most.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer