Skip to main content

I inherited real property from my deceased parents. Property was sold and funds place in a trust account in my name.

Flushing, NY |

Is this trust considered a marital asset in a divorce action? Is it used as a basis to determine child support and or maintenance? Is it considered income?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


This is a divorce question , not a trusts question, you may want to repost. But generally inherited propety is not marital property, although appreciation in value during the marriage may be marital property. Trust distributions may be used to pay child support obligations and maintenance. The terms of the trust agreement determine whether the property may be attached. The status of the trust when created determines whether you are taxed on all of the trust income under grantor trust rules, or just taxed as income is distributed to you. You need to talk with a divorce attorney and a trusts attorney.


I changed the practice area of your question to Divorce. While inherited assets are generally not part of the marital estate, if funds have been commingled, they might be considered a marital asset. My suggestions is to retain a divorce attorney in your area.

By the very nature of Avvo, you have only provided limited facts and no documentation, therefore, our response to your question is treated only as a hypothetical, and as such it is merely general in nature. You should not rely on this response in taking or forgoing action in your circumstances without discussing this matter with an attorney. If we had the opportunity to ask you sufficient questions and review relevant documents so that we were satisfied we had all of the relevant facts and circumstances, our response might differ significantly. Without the opportunity to ask you questions, and review all relevant documents and memoranda, we are simply unable to provide any form of legal advice. Our response to your question does not create any attorney-client relationship between us, and we are not acting as your attorney. We reserve the right to decline representation in any case. By answering your question, we are under no obligation to answer further questions. There are very specific deadlines for filing a lawsuit, replying to a lawsuit filed against you, or taking other action in order to preserve your legal rights. You should contact an attorney immediately in order to be fully advised of your rights, and so that you are aware of those deadlines. If you fail to act within the required time frame, you might be forever barred from asserting your rights or defending your position. The attorney answering this question is licensed in Illinois and Iowa only.


That depends upon the way the trust was set up. Inheritance generally is not a marital asset.

Under the rules governing the conduct of attorneys in New York it may be necessary to remind you that this answer could be considered attorney advertising.


It is not a marital a separate asset (of yours) in a divorce action.

My answer is not intended to be giving legal advice and this topic can be a complex area where the advice of a licensed attorney in your State should be obtained.