Skip to main content

I inherited property in NJ during my marriage. Will my husband be entitled to 50% if separated or divorced?

Cliffside Park, NJ |

He has been the Super in the buildings so we didn't pay rent for 16 years. Will he be entitled to anything?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


Inherited property is not subject to equitable distribution, unless it is co-mingled with common property along the way. Whether an argument can be made towards allowance because he is the super depends on other factors.

Please be advised my answers to questions does not constitute legal advise and you should not rely on it, due to the fact that we have never met, I have not been aprised of the facts in you case nor have I reviewed any documents.


Ms. Navarette is correct. You may want to consult with a family law attorney who can discuss your specific circumstances with you and analyze them under the applicable law.

The information provided is not, nor is it intended to be, legal advice. This information is designed for general information only. You should consult an attorney for advice regarding your specific situation. We invite you to contact us and welcome your calls, letters and emails. Contacting us does not create an attorney-client relationship. Please do not send any confidential information to us until such time as an attorney-client relationship has been established.


It depends. How is title to the property held? If, for example, the deed is in both your names than it will likely be treated as a gift from you to him and included in the marital estate. If you kept it titled in your name alone, you have an argument that it is your separate property. He might be able to claim 1/2 the increase in value due to his efforts as super. You should consult with a local family law attorney.

If this answer was helpful, please mark it as helpful or as a best answer. This answer is for general education purposes only. It neither creates an attorney-client relationship nor provides legal guidance or advice. The answer is based on the limited information provided and the answer might be different had additional information been provided. You should consult an attorney.