Skip to main content

I hold a green card since 8 years. I have filed tax returns only for past 3 years. Do i need to file the remaining years as well

Usk, WA |

Have recently applied for my wife's green card and need to now submit affidavit of support but i am worried that i have filed returns only for three years which is what i need to submit to NVC. Does NVC review all past records. My income is above 125% of poverty line.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4

Best Answer

You should really file taxes. This will have an impact on your application for naturalization.

Madrid Crost Law Group - (888) 466-4478; e-mail:; skype: usvisalaw 10 S. La Salle Street, Suite 3320, Chicago, IL 60603 Please consult with a licensed immigration professional to provide you with a thorough legal advice. This response is not a substitute for specific legal advice and it should not be construed to create an attorney-client relationship. Please help stop notario fraud. Please visit and share this site:



Thanks Mary. However currently i am not planning for Naturlization will this affect my wife green card application

Mary Carmen Remigio Madrid-Crost

Mary Carmen Remigio Madrid-Crost


NVC will not be able to see the non-payment of the taxes prior to the past three years. However, it is your obligation to pay taxes so please make that arrangement so that you are ready whenever you need to prove that you are paying taxes.


Yes, you must be in compliance for all years.

DISCLAIMER The answer given above by the lawyer serves for educational purposes only and provides general information and a basic understanding of the applicable law. Take notice that the answer above does not create an attorney-client relationship as this website is not intended to provide anyone a specific legal advice. Anyone using the site expressly consents that there is no attorney client privilege between any person and any attorney responding. Further take notice that the site should not be used as a crude substitute for any professional and competent legal advice by a licensed professional attorney in the applicable jurisdiction. The attorney above attempted to provide competent professional information, however, the law and its applications may change frequently and vary greatly from other U.S. jurisdictions and locales. Therefore, any information and materials provided above are general in nature, and may not apply to specific factual and legal circumstances related to one's personal legal issues. Contact an experienced lawyer admitted to practice in your State under an attorney-client privilege to further receive a competent legal advice before making any important decisions about your particular legal issue. For further inquiries please contact: Attorney Alexander Ivakhnenko 1021 West Adams, 102, Chicago, Illinois 60607 773-562-8602


You need to file (even if you don't have to pay) taxes for every year.


NVC will not review your history, but, yes, the law requires tax returns be filed

This reply is intended only as general information and does not constitute legal advice in any particular case. This reply does not create an attorney/client relationship.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer