Skip to main content

I hold a F1 visa. Can I volunteer in a hospital without having work authorization?

Rockville, MD |

Hi, I am an international student and I am holding a F1 visa. I was planning to work in a hospital as a volunteer during the summer because I had heard that international students are allowed to volunteer. However, about a month ago, a lawyer came to our school and he told me that I can not volunteer because I will be providing benefit to the hospital by volunteering. This does not make any sense to me because the whole purpose of volunteering is to do some productive job. What is your opinion? Can I volunteer in a hospital without having a work authorization?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


Only is this is a kind of work that is usually done by volunteers.

NYC EXPERIENCED IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS; email:; Phone: (866) 456-­8654; Fax: 212-964-0440; Cell: 212-202-0325. The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter.



(213) 394-4554 x0 Mr. Shusterman is a former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82) with over 35 years of immigration experience. His response to your question is general in nature, as not all the facts are known to him. You should retain an attorney experienced in immigration law to review all the facts in your case in order to receive advice specific to your case. Mr. Shusterman's statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship.



Law Offices of J Thomas Smith J.D., Ph.D 11500 Northwest Freeway, Suite 280 Houston, TX 77092 713-LAWYER-2 NOTE: Responses are for the education of the community at large and is not intended to be "legal advice." No attorney-client relationship is established by responses or comments.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer