Skip to main content

I have two EINs for the same corporation. Legal zoom obtained one for me, and I got one too.. Is that a problem with IRS?

Van Nuys, CA |

I recently incorporated through legal zoom and they obtained my EIN, but I also went ahead a obtained one for the same entity. So, now I have two EINs for the same business. Is that a problem?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


Yes, and you need to contact the IRS to cancel one.

The above is general legal and business analysis. It is not "legal advice" but analysis, and different lawyers may analyse this matter differently, especially if there are additional facts not reflected in the question. I am not your attorney until retained by a written retainer agreement signed by both of us. I am only licensed in California. See also terms and conditions item 9, incorporated as if it was reprinted here.


Multiple EINs are not OK for a single corporation. Mr. Doland is correct in that you need to contact the IRS and have one of those numbers cancelled.

** LEGAL DISCLAIMER ** My response above is not legal advice and it does not establish an attoreny-client relationship. When responding to questions posted on Avvo, I provide a general purpose response based on California law as I am licensed in California. In reviewing my response, you are specifically advised that your use of, or reliance upon any response I provide is not advisable. I do not have all relevant background details or facts related to your issue / matter, thus I am not in a position to give you legal advice. Further, your review, use of, or reliance upon my response does not establish an attorney-client relationship between us nor does it qualify as a legal consultation for any purpose. For specific advice regarding your particular circumstances, you should consult and retain local counsel. Law Offices of Eric J. Gold Telephone: 818-279-2737 Email: service@egoldlaw.con


Yes, as noted by the prior answers from Mr. Doland and Mr. Gold, you need to contact the IRS as soon as possible to cancel one of the numbers.

The foregoing is not offered as legal advice, but is a general analysis of the situation posed by your question. I am not your attorney until I have been retained through a written retainer agreement which is signed by both of us. I am only licensed in California and make no representation as to the laws of other states.


BIG PROBLEM! You need to contact the IRS ASAP to explain the situation and then come to agreement as to which of the 2 EIN's will survive and which one will be deleted.

My answer is not intended to be giving legal advice and this topic can be a complex area where the advice of a licensed attorney in your State should be obtained.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer