Skip to main content

I have tps and i want to go on a cruise can i travel and if i can what documents will i need

Orlando, FL |

Advice from an immigration lawyer only

+ Read More

Attorney answers 5


Individuals who have TPS and intend to travel outside the USA need to apply for travel authorization in the form of an advance parole document. This allows you to leave and return to the US at a later time. If you've ever been in the US in unlawful status, consult with an immigration attorney to go over any potential risks.

(626) 771-1078 Los Angeles Attorney Theodore Huang, Esq. This is not legal advice. No attorney/client relationship is established. Attorney Huang is licensed in MD; practice limited to federal law.


It is possible to obtain permission to travel, as my colleague mentioned. However, just because USCIS issues advance parole to an individual doesn't mean that it is advisable for that individual to actually use it. Please meet with an immigration attorney to discuss your personal immigration history before leaving the country.

Good luck!

Heather L. Garvock Attorney Ellis Porter, PLC 2701 Troy Center Dr., 410 Troy, MI 48084 Phone: 248-519-9900 Fax: 248-519-9901 Email: For more information about current issues and developments in immigration law, visit my blog: The information I provide on my blog and Avvo is for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice or create an attorney client relationship.


An alien who has been granted TPS must be granted advance parole to travel outside the United States and re-enter. Traveling without a grant of advance parole results in the abandonment of the TPS application.

Even though one may have been granted TPS, that does not necessarily mean that it is smart to travel outside the U.S. Departing the country, even with permission from the government, can effect future eligibility for immigration benefits. I recommend you consult with an experienced immigration attorney who can review your case with you and advise you as to any potential immigration consequences of your proposed travel.

While this answer is provided by a Florida Bar Certified Expert in Immigration and Nationality Law, it is for general information purposes only and an attorney/client relationship is neither intended nor created. You should seek out qualified counsel to review your case and provide you with advice specific to your situation. Call +1-561-478-5353 to schedule a consultation with Mr. Devore.


You will need advance parole to travel.



You will need to apply for advance parole on Form I-131. However as some of my colleagues have indicated, not because you can travel means you should. Furthermore, if you have been arrested since obtaining TPS status, you should meet with an immigration attorney to see if the crime will cause any difficulties with reentry.

Natalie hall, Esq.
(407) 412-7035

The information presented here is general in nature for general assistance and is not intended to be legal advice. Do not Act or Rely on the information provided herein. Consult an attorney for specific legal advice tailored to your case. This posting and information does not create an attorney-client relationship with the reader and The Law Office of Natalie D. Hall, P.A. If you need a legal consultation for your case, call us at 407-412-7035.