Skip to main content

I have to sell real estate in Ecuador and need to provide POA for a relative there to handle it. How do I obtain it?

Norristown, PA |

Is this something I can obtain through a local Attorney or do I have to go to the Ecuadorian Consulate? If it can be done locally what information do I need to provide?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


I have handled a similar situation involving a property transfer in Malta. I would suggest contacting the Ecuadorian Consulate to determine the necessary procedure. You may be able to have the form drawn up by a local attorney and certified by the Consulate. That is what was done in our situation.

Best of luck to you!

James Frederick


I would just add that you are likely going to need to find out the wording of the POA from your attorney in Ecuador, to meet the requirements of Ecuadoran law.
The Consulate does have information on its webpage. (Link below). Good luck.

Leslie A. Margolies

Leslie A. Margolies


I agree with Linda that you need to find out first any special wording required by Ecuadoran law. Our Power of Attorney form may not be sufficient. But once you have signed and notarized the Power of Attorney there is special process for authenticating documents to be used in a foreign court. You must get an Apostille which is basically a seal authenticating that the notary was valid. It is the same process a prospective adoptive parent goes through to get their documents authenticated before submitting them to them to the foreign court to adopt a child. I used to be Executive Director of an International Adoption Agency (and I'm also an adoptive parent) so I am very familiar with the process.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer