Skip to main content

I have to argue pro se on petition to sell home with supreme court where can i find cases similar to mine to present my case?

Bayshore, NY |

I filed a petition asking for judicial intervention on my parent's home willed to my brother who lives there to help me sell the home. He backed out of the contract to buy my share...had me list the home with a broker and has refused all solid offers close to asking price. He is stalling, not paying the taxes so i have to pay the taxes and he refuses me to come to the home. Since the court asked us to appear pro se for an oral argument, Aug 1, 2013, I need to find cases similar to mine to support my request. I have the contract of sale he breached with me, contract with broker, and emails which he refuses all offers. But i need legal cases and don't know where to look to help support my argument..please help. Thank you.

+ Read More

Filed under: Representing yourself
Attorney answers 1


You can try Google scholar or go to a law library at the court and ask the librarian for help using Westlaw. However, doing legal research is a skill that takes years of practice to develop. Google scholar is okay but not as precise ad Westlaw.

I am a former federal and State prosecutor and have been doing criminal defense work for over 16 years. I was named to the Super Lawyers list as one of the top attorneys in New York for 2012 and 2013. No more than 5 percent of the lawyers in the state are selected by Super Lawyers. Martindale-Hubbell has given me its highest rating - AV Preeminent - in the areas of Criminal Law, Personal Injury, and Litigation. According to Martindale-Hubbell”AV Preeminent is a significant rating accomplishment - a testament to the fact that a lawyer's peers rank him or her at the highest level of professional excellence." Fewer than 8% of attorneys achieve an AV Preeminent rating. I also have the highest ranking – “superb” – on Avvo. The above answer, and any follow up comments or emails is for informational purposes only and not meant as legal advice.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer